Gerald F Seib

Gerald F Seib


Wall Street Journal Washington bureau chief and author of the Capital Journal column. Follow my writings, posts and appearances at https://t.co/ybcLEg35ZA

36116 followers  •  276 follow  •    •   https://t.co/ybcLEg35ZA

Join me at 1:30 ET tomorrow for a livestream discussion about China tensions with Sen. Tom Cotton:

In the quest to reopen the country, uncertainty and fear are among the biggest impediments. A Nobel Prize winner explains--and has thoughts on how to deal with them. via @WSJ 

Video: The toughest decision many governors and mayors face is when and how to reopen schools.Ohio Gov. DeWine talked to me about how he's approaching that challenge:

Important WSJ reporting here: Four doctors aboard the USS Theodore Roosevelt warned Navy medical officials in March that dozens of sailors would die of Covid-19 if the entire ship weren’t evacuated within 10 days. Kudos @glubold , @nancyayoussef : via @WSJ 

Simple uncertainty is a giant force blunting economic recovery, business leaders say. What can political leaders do to reduce it? Lots more tests, for one thing. via @WSJ 

The success of Hong Kong and Singapore in avoiding coronavirus deaths has been and remains one of the most stunning stories of the crisis: via @WSJ 

How to put 100,000 deaths in perspective? I'm from Western Kansas. If you lost the entire population of my home county and the eight counties surrounding it, you'd still be 17,000 short of that grim total.

History shows that when the shocks pile up, one atop the other, Americans can reach a tipping point. That happened in 1968 and 1979. Is it happening again now? via @WSJ 

Loading
Loading

It was 17 years ago this week that our friend and WSJ collegue Daniel Pearl was killed by terrorists in Pakistan. That is what real journalism means. Let us not forget him.

tweet picture

WSJ scoop: Unbeknownst to patients, Google has worked with the Ascension health system to get access to patient data, including lab results, doctor diagnoses and hospitalization records, with patient names and dates of birth. via @WSJ 

Meanwhile: The Treasury is going to issue $1.338 trillion in new debt this year--that's trillion with a T--more than double the amount in 2017. via

Let's be clear about this: Two Reuters journalists in Myanmar are going to spend seven years in prison for doing their jobs honestly, unless the world does something about that.

Demographic challenge for democracy: By 2040, about 70% of Americans are expected to live in the 15 largest states, and will have 30 senators representing them. The remaining 30% of Americans will have 70 senators representing them. via

Will the U.S. offer Brazil's goalkeeper a spot in the federal witness protection program? via @WSJDailyFix 

A late amendment to the health bill could result in lower benefits for those insured through employers: via @WSJ 

Peter Navarro, speaking at WSJ CFO Network just now, apologizes for "special place in hell" remark directed at Canada's Trudeau: "Let me correct a mistake I made...In conveying that message I used language that was inappropriate." #WSJCFO 

Hugely important WSJ story, socially, economically and politically: The American middle class is falling deeper into debt to maintain a middle-class lifestyle. via @WSJ 

Loading
Loading